Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ranting review: Alone by Falling in Reverse

So looking at what's new on the hard rock charts just because I'm curious when I find this band sitting at #8. I wish I could like popular music again but people make it so hard for me :'( The latest entry of popular metal bands that just don't impress me is Falling in Reverse with their song "alone".
It wasn't a horrible idea to try mixing screamo, dub-step and club rap but failing to do any of them well becomes painful to listen to.
Lyrically speaking, a rapped verse with the rap cliches bragging being cool and having skills and money moving to a feeble growled pre chorus of threats fallowed by a monotone chorus about friends and never wanting to be alone it's just so.... pathetic. And finally, the lame visual tropes of big money as seen by helicopter ride to ware house (Stryper did almost the same video 30 years ago) and back off I'm a bad ass rock star fashion of a Skrilllex hair do proudly displaying a fully tattooed scalp while do the "L" to the forehead grrrrrrrr. Every thing about this is screams contrived, cliche and weak.
It's the weak part that irritates me the most. If I had to draw a parallel do one of my high school generation it would be Limp Bizkit. The thing is you could apply all these criticisms to them 10 years ago except the weak part. Limp bizkit at least had energy and some attitude. Falling in reverse on the other hand is too repressed to be energetic anthem, too polished to be reckless rock song, too abrasive to have any mass appeal and too disingenuous to connect to emotionally.
Long story short (too late), I really can't find one redeemable quality here. Every body, the lesson is clear. Stop listening, watching, sharing and buying. Let this band die!!! We can't see better metal music chart if we let this type of band thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment